You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Childcare element of Working Tax Credit - How do I claim the childcare element of Working Tax Credit?

The Childcare Element of Working Tax Credit is for people who work but are on a low income to help with the cost of registered or approved childcare. It does not matter whether you are working for someone else or are self-employed.

How do I claim the childcare element of Working Tax Credit?

The childcare element is a part of Working Tax Credit and as such is claimed as part of a Working Tax Credit claim.

Please see the Working Tax Credit guide for further details on claiming.

What documents will I need to claim the childcare element of Working Tax Credit?

You will need to provide details of your childcare provider and the costs as part of your Working Tax Credit claim.

Change of circumstances

Tax Credits are paid on a year by year basis but it is very important to tell HM Revenue and Customs about changes in your circumstances during the year which could affect the money you get. You must tell them about some changes within one month.

See the website (link opens in a new window) for more information on changes that affect your tax credits


Reviewed: August 2017

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants