You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Emergency Assistance - Benefit payments

Find out what help there is available in emergencies and urgent situations.

Benefit payments

Hardship payments

If your Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit benefit payment is stopped, for example because you have been sanctioned, and you don’t have enough money to live on, you may be able to get a Hardship Payment.

Hardship payments are reduced-rate payments of Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit that are made in limited circumstances.  See our Hardship Payment guide for further information.

Advance payments

If you need help until a benefit claim is processed or paid, you may be able to get an advance on your benefit payment if you are in urgent financial need (usually the advance is for your first benefit payment). See our Short Term Benefit Advance and Universal Credit Advance guides to find out more.

Budgeting loan or advance

If you are claiming an out-of-work benefit, Pension Credit or Universal Credit and you need help to pay for one-off essentials, you may be able to get a budgeting loan or advance.  The DWP lends you the money and you pay it back out of your benefit payments.  Our Budgeting Loan/Budgeting Advance guide sets out what you can get it for and how to apply.

Updated: February 2018

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants