You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Hardship Payments - What is a Hardship Payment?

Find out more about Hardship Payments.

What is a Hardship Payment?

Hardship payments are reduced-rate payments of jobseeker’s allowance (JSA), employment and support allowance (ESA) and universal credit (UC) that are made in limited circumstances, including if you have been sanctioned.

You or your partner or children must be experiencing hardship and in most cases you must show that you or your family will suffer hardship unless benefit is paid. In some cases for JSA, you must be in a ‘vulnerable group’.

If you come under the universal credit (UC) system you need to claim the hardship payment of UC.

Applies to: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (no hardship payments of Universal Credit in NI as benefit is not available)

Age rules: You must be 18 or over. Some 16 and 17 year olds can get hardship payments though - see further information in this guide.

Type of benefit: Means tested 

Taxable:  Yes:  hardship payments of Jobseeker’s Allowance

No: hardship payments of Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit are not taxable

Administered by: JobCentre Plus 

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants