You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Prisoners serving a sentence - Help with housing costs - Serving a sentence

Your entitlement to most benefits stops while serving a custodial sentence in prison as a result of a criminal conviction. If you are claiming benefits and about to go into prison or you are on remand, you should contact the office that pays your benefit as soon as possible. This is to make sure that you are not overpaid any benefits that you are not entitled to while you are in prison.

Help with housing costs - Serving a sentence

Most benefits stop while you are serving a prison sentence. However, you may still be entitled to help with housing costs for a limited amount of time.

You may receive the housing costs element of Universal Credit for up to 6 months when you are in prison. You will only be paid after you have been sentenced if the total amount of time spent in prison (including time on remand) will not be more than 6 months. 

You may be entitled to the following benefits for up to 13 weeks if you're not likely to be away from your home for longer than 13 weeks and you plan to return home after your sentence:

If you want to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support while you are in prison, you will need to tell the local authority about your change of circumstances.

In Scotland, you will need to tell the local council directly about your change of circumstances.

In Northern Ireland, tell your local Housing Executive.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool