You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element - What is the Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element?

Find out more about the Universal Credit housing costs element.

What is the Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element?

This money is to help you with your housing costs.

It can help with rent and some service charges if you are a tenant.

If you are a homeowner it can include help towards the interest payments on mortgages and on other loans for home purchase, certain repairs, and home improvements. It can also cover other housing costs including service charges in some circumstances. However, help for owner-occupiers changes from April 2018. From 6 April 2018, support for mortgage interest will no longer exist as a benefit for new or existing claimants. Claimants will instead be invited to apply for a loan if they want to continue to be supported.  Interest will be charged on the loans.  Loans will be repaid upon the sale of a claimant’s house; or on transfer of ownership of the property. The borrower could make voluntary payments off the loan if their situation improves and they can afford it.  

Applies to: England, Scotland and Wales

Universal Credit has not yet been introduced in Northern Ireland yet but will be introduced gradually from September 2017.. See the NI Direct website for more information (link opens in new window).

Administered by: Department for Work and Pensions


Updated: March 2018

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool