You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element - Universal Credit (UC): Housing costs contributions

Universal Credit (UC) housing costs element can help with rent and some service charges if you are a tenant. If you are a homeowner you can receive help with your mortgage interest payments in the form of a Support for Mortgage Interest Loan.

Universal Credit (UC): Housing costs contributions

A deduction will be made from your housing costs element for rent payments for each non-dependant in your household. This is called a housing costs contribution.

A housing cost contribution is a fixed amount of £73.89 per month for each non-dependant.

Certain claimants are exempt from this. No deduction will be made for housing costs contributions for a single person or couple with a non-dependant where one or both of the claimants are:

There will also be no deduction made for housing costs contributions if the non-dependant is:

  • under 21 years old
  • in receipt of state pension credit
  • in receipt of the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate
  • in receipt of Attendance Allowance
  • in receipt of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • entitled to a payment of one of the disability benefits mentioned but not receiving it for one of the set allowed reasons
  • in receipt of carer’s allowance
  • a prisoner
  • responsible for a child under 5 years old


Updated: April 2019

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page