You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

If you rent your home from a social housing landlord such as the council or a housing association, and you are of working age, your Housing Benefit is not based on rental prices in your area but may be reduced if it's considered you have more bedrooms than you actually need.This rule is known as the 'Social Sector Size Criteria' and is also commonly referred to as the 'Bedroom Tax'

If your home is considered to be too big for you, the rent amount used to calculate your Housing Benefit will be cut by:

14% if you have one spare bedroom

25% if you have two or more spare bedrooms.

If you are over Pension Credit age this size criteria does not affect your claim for Housing Benefit.