You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - Can I get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)?

Find out more about Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).

Can I get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)?

Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

You can get this for up to six months if you have been working and have paid enough national insurance contributions within the last couple of years. It is paid just for you even if you have a partner.  

Contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) can be paid with Income-based Jobseekers Allowance if you qualify for both.  If you qualify for Universal Credit instead of Income-based JSA, you can get Contribution-based JSA at the same time as Universal Credit.  

A new claim for Contribution-based JSA is also known as a new claim for New-style Jobseekers Allowance.

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Please note that if you try to make a new claim for Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, you could instead be required to claim Universal Credit.  If you or your partner are receiving a 'legacy benefit' such as Child Tax Credit or Housing Benefit, you will lose these if you make a claim for Universal Credit.  

You can find out whether you can still claim Income-based Jobseekers Allowance by using our Benefits Calculator or by seeking advice.  You can find an advice agency in your area by using our Find-an-adviser tool.   Read more about Universal Credit. on our website.

You can still get Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) in one of the following situations:

  • You are on Income-based JSA at present, unless you try to claim another legacy benefit or Universal Credit, or
  • You are responsible for three or more children, or
  • You (or your partner) are getting Contribution-based JSA and your claim for it started before your area became a Universal Credit full digital service area (Get advice first  if you think this might apply); 

In addition:

  • You and (your partner's) income is low enough, and
  • You and (your partner's) savings are capital are below £16000, and
  • You are available for work and actively seeking work, and
  • You are under pension age, and
  • You must not be working, or working fewer than 16 hours a week, and
  • If you have a partner they must not be working, or working fewer than 24 hours a week.

Updated December 2018

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants